If the task of coming up with wording for a retirement plaque makes you a little nervous, that’s understandable. After all, the words you choose are going to be engraved, and likely displayed in the retiree’s home for years to come. Besides all that, the idea of trying to sum up someone’s career in a few words might in itself seem daunting.
The good news is, you don’t have to do it all on your own. For one thing, there may already be a company or industry boilerplate for you to follow. For another, you’ve got the following article, which has tips and examples to help you craft the perfect retirement plaque wording.
To start, here are a few rules of thumb for crafting a good retirement plaque message.
1. Draw upon relevant examples. The best way to get ideas for retirement plaque wording is to find out what your company or organization has done in the past. Another option is to see how others in your line of work have been recognized upon their retirement. If there’s an established convention in place for what goes on retirement plaque, consider following it.
2. Keep it professional. A lighthearted message might be appropriate for a more casual employer/employee relationship. But for most other situations, stick with a formal tone.
3. Make it concise. Retirement plaques, much like retirement cakes, don’t give you a lot of room to work with. To make sure the wording can be in a large and legible type, keep it short. That said, it’s common to devote some space on a retirement plaque to a farewell message or inspiring quote.
Here are some retirement plaque wording examples. You can use one of these as a template, or just pick up ideas to craft your own wording.
- 35 Years of Employment
35 years full of good days and bad days, problems, achievements, coffee breaks, office pranks and many, many friendships.
For 35 Years of Excellence
Hannan Tech Would Like to Thank
We Wish You All the Best in Retirement, Darlene!
September 20, 2022
For 30 Years of Service
At Bayman Systems Corporation
Congratulations on Your Retirement!
October 12, 2022
- Congratulations on Your Retirement
We hope you enjoy your well-earned rest and relaxation after 17 years of hard work and dedication. You will be missed.
May 3, 2022
- Presented to
In recognition of his many years of leadership and dedication to the United States Army.
1999 – 2022
At Ease, Soldier!
- In Honor Of
For 38 years of teaching and countless lives touched. Congratulations on your retirement!
June 14, 2022
Retirement Plaque Phrases
Here are some miscellaneous phrases to consider for a retirement plaque.
- Happy Retirement!
- The Best is Yet to Come
- You Made a Difference
- You Will Be Missed
- Thank You For Your Hard Work and Dedication
- Best of Luck on Your Retirement
- Best of Luck as You Begin This New Chapter in Your Life
- In Appreciation For Your Years of Dedication and Commitment
- You Have Inspired Us All
- We Wish You a Long and Happy Retirement
If you’re looking for a poignant message to add to the retirement plaque, see this list of famous farewell quotes. Yet another place to look for inspiration is this guide to writing a certificate of appreciation.